I don’t often pen many articles from my direct perspective, but as I lay in bed for the fourth consecutive day in a row whilst recovering from my very first-ever bout of influenza, I felt compelled to write an article that I feel I should’ve read, and taken preventative action on, a week ago.
As winter approaches, it’s time to gather our sisterhood and learn from our friends across the pond—the US and Europe—who have already battled the 2022-2023 influenza (flu) season. Imagine facing not one, but two viruses: the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) and the notorious “CV”. While we might have a six-month grace period in Australia, we’re not exempt from facing the same challenges.
Now, picture this: a season of sniffles and nagging coughs that just won’t quit. But fear not, my fabulous friends, for I bring you a guide to prepare yourself for the upcoming cold and flu season. Let’s delve into educational, insightful, and fun tips that will keep you glowing with holistic health and well-being:
- Embrace the art of hand washing: Forget diamonds—clean hands are a girl’s best friend! Frequent hand washing with soap and water will help you stay ahead of those pesky viruses.
- Radiate good hygiene: Be the goddess of grace by covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of it swiftly, as if banishing any negativity from your life. And remember, your beautiful face is off-limits to those germs, so resist the urge to touch it. Stay away from sickly souls, because you deserve only good vibes.
- Keep the warmth within: Wrap yourself in layers of comfort and keep your sanctuary warm, like a cozy goddess’s paradise. Let your body radiate the heat that keeps you feeling divine.
- Nourish your temple: I’ll say this in each and every post until you all listen. Hydration is the elixir of life. Sip on fluids like a goddess savouring the nectar of wellness. It flushes out toxins, leaving your body cleansed and hydrated.
- Embrace the power of rest: Unleash your inner Sleeping Beauty and give your body the rejuvenation it craves. Sufficient sleep empowers your immune system to slay those pesky infections.
- Nourish your body, nourish your soul: Feast on a vibrant diet that celebrates the goddess within you. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are the magical ingredients that strengthen your immune system and make you shine from within.
Now, let’s unveil the nutrients that will be your loyal allies in this battle against colds and flu. These goddess-worthy powerhouses will keep you in peak form and ready to face any viral assailant:
- Vitamin C: This radiant antioxidant supports your immune system, creating an aura of strength. Citrus fruits, strawberries, kiwi, capsicums (aka. bell peppers), broccoli, and tomatoes will be your fruity companions on this journey.
- Zinc: The goddess of minerals, empowering your immune system and warding off viruses. Seek out oysters, beef, pork, chicken, beans, and nuts for your zinc-powered transformation.
- Vitamin D: The sunshine vitamin, illuminating your immune system’s path and shielding you from respiratory infections. Bask in the glow of fatty fish, egg yolks, and fortified foods like milk and cereal if that’s your jam, too. Embrace the sun’s gentle caress, but remember where we sit in the location of the world, here in Melb there isn’t much delivered by the sparse rays of sunlight during these winter months. Supplementation is best advised if you’re low.
- Probiotics: These friendly goddesses reside in your gut, fortifying your immune system. Delight in yogurt, kefir, and kimchi to maintain the harmony within and guard against colds and flu. To read more about how amazing fermented foods are for us and our guts, click here.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: The soothing goddesses of anti-inflammatory powers, supporting your immune system’s quest for balance. Dive into the sea of fatty fish, flaxseed, chia seeds, and walnuts to unlock their powerful potential.
But that doesn’t end there – listen to episode one of the Nutritionista podcast to hear us discuss all facets of your immune system while we cover exactly what your immune system is, discuss if there is any relation between the gut and our immune system, and then we’ll elaborate on which specific nutrients and foods are best to consume to improve your immunity by discussing some practical cooking tips and how to recover from an illness.
Now, let’s confront another foe lurking in the shadows—the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV). This sneaky virus can affect people of all ages, but fear not, my enchanting ladies, we have a few tricks up our sleeves. While research on specific nutrients or herbs for treating RSV is still evolving, we have some enchanting contenders:
- Vitamin D: This radiant goddess not only helps reduce the risk of respiratory infections, including RSV, but also enhances immune function and soothes inflammation in the respiratory tract. Stay tuned for more research on the optimal dose and duration of vitamin D supplementation.
- Zinc: Our trusty mineral ally shines once again. While we’re still uncovering its powers against RSV, zinc has shown promise in reducing the severity and duration of colds caused by similar viruses. Keep an eye out for future studies unveiling zinc’s magical properties against RSV specifically.
- Elderberry: This mystical fruit has been cherished throughout the ages for its healing properties. Some studies suggest that elderberry extract possesses antiviral effects against influenza viruses and may even reduce the intensity and duration of cold and flu symptoms. Let’s eagerly await further research to uncover elderberry’s potential against RSV.
Now, my fab friends, you find yourself armed with knowledge, and my full attention focused on never facing myself in this same germy position again, you are prepared to embrace the cold and flu season fearlessly. Remember, your well-being is a testament to your goddess-like strength. So, wash those hands, radiate good hygiene, keep warm, stay hydrated, indulge in rest, nourish your body, and let those immune-boosting nutrients work their magic. May you emerge victorious, radiating with feminine grace and enjoying a season of wellness. Onward, my marvellous mavens, onward!
Ready To Go?
Ready to supercharge your health and wellness journey? Look no further than fermented foods! Here at the Nutritionista Clinic, we believe in the power of natural, wholesome foods to nourish and heal the body from the inside out.
That’s why we’ve created The Flow Lab, a comprehensive 12 week program designed to help women with endometriosis understand their bodies and manage their gut and digestive symptoms in a holistic way. Our program includes a personalised nutrition plan that focuses on the benefits of consuming fermented foods, with guidance on which foods to eat and which to avoid to maximise your health.
Incorporating fermented foods into your diet can have a myriad of benefits, including improved gut health, increased immunity, and better digestion. Plus, they’re delicious and can add an exciting twist to your meals! But The Flow Lab isn’t just about nutrition. We also provide tailored movement practices, meditation, and stress management techniques to help you achieve optimal health and wellbeing.
If you’re ready to take control of your health and feel your best, we invite you to join us on the The Flow Lab journey. Our team of experienced practitioners is here to provide education and support, so you can make informed decisions about your health and wellbeing. To learn more about The Flow Lab or working with one of our amazing practitioners and how we can help you manage your endometriosis symptoms, visit our Work With Us page today.